Saturday 12 October 2013

Giles Croft and Micheal Eaton: Charlie Peace

I had never heard of a Charlie Peace, never knew anything about the famous criminal so to be perfectly honest, when I first walked into the auditorium and saw the set I was slightly confused. The flats which were on the side of the stage however gave a bit of information about Charlie Peace. For me I found them useful because it actually meant that I got a better beginning understanding about what I was going to watch.



I struggled to follow along, I got completely lost in the time era, the costumes and to be really honest, the set. I didn't understand the set, it was sort of like a mini stage on the actual stage. The audience could see the cast moving props and tables about on stage. The curtain was a bit of a problem, because I was sat in the middle of the auditorium on the ground floor I was able to see actors moving around behind it. This wasn't a big problem but it was something I couldn't help but notice. 

So the master class was actually really really useful for me. Being able to listen to the director's and the writer's thoughts and feelings towards the play was inspirational as to how passionate the writer was about the character Charlie Peace. Listening to the writers thoughts behind the play and how he researched the history of Charlie Peace and the idea behind the 'Travelling Show'. 

After listening and asking questions to the writer and director I got a better understanding of how they tried to approach the style of the show. The set was designed around the idea of a travelling show. Using a moving stage, taken around to fairs and circus' to put on a show. The Idea involves a rough, old look which looking back at the play I think was visible. I think the only problem was the costumes. They were too pristine to connect to the idea of the travelling show, they should have been more weathered down to link in more, following on with the idea that it's travelling and well used costumes. 

The master class really helped me with understanding the show and the idea around it, making more sense to me than when I had just watched the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment