Monday 13 May 2013

Rachel Whiteread Research

Rachel Whiteread
Looking at some artists such as Rachel Whiteread is to help me with finding inspiration for the set design for my Hamlet project.

I like the way in which Whiteread takes everyday large objects and documents the space around it. She primarily produces sculptures, which typically takes the form of casts.





'Many of Whiteread's works are casts of ordinary domestic objects and, in numerous cases, the space the objects do not inhabit'.

The Cast in some ways shows the existance of something we take of granted, something that holds a memory or feeling for the object, such as the cast of the house.
Looking at the house I feel as though its symbolising the past, a house to me but a home fr somebody else. Its the negative of the positive that we can see and holds emotions, memories and connections to a different generation.
I like Whiteread's work with the casts of domestic items, although the cast is a new object is stands for something that previously existed like a ghost of the past. Perhaps with further research I could adapt the casting idea and create something that resembles decay.

No comments:

Post a Comment