Thursday 13 February 2014

Skills Week | 18th Century Corset Making


This week we have been learning how to fit and construct an 18th century corset. After working on a set design for an 18th century play, I found this skills week to be very useful and rewarding. Having the skills week, a week before our Beggar's Opera project finished, it gave us time to see one to one how the silhouette of the time period was made.

I have really enjoyed this skills week as it allowed me to go back to the sewing machine, something I am comfortable using but also pushed me to learn new things, such as pattern laying, amending the basic pattern to fit me and seeing how the panels and boning channels work together to form shape and support for the wearer.

My corset fitted well and given another day I would have been able to finish it entirely. At the end of the week the only section I had left to do was the bias binding around the neck of the corset. Unfortunately with the number of people and number of machines there wasn't enough time to finish the corset entirely so this I finished off in my own time.








No comments:

Post a Comment